When summer comes we can’t help but want to get a little naughty with our eating habits. It’s a tricky balance between embracing the sweet summer lifestyle and keeping our bodies in prime poolside condition; we don’t want to throw away all those wintertime gym hours for hot dogs! We like to indulge in the summer, and this berry bruschetta recipe makes summer spoils feel as good for our body as they taste. We make this bruschetta for dessert on the regular, and will pamper our friends with this for the occasional breakfast. Also, it’s a chance to use local bought produce, use berries from your community and your conscious will feel as good as your tummy.
- 4 thick slices whole wheat bread
- 6 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 C. sliced, hulled strawberries
- 4 Tbs. mascarpone
- Toast bread
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice; stir until the sugar melts and the mixture starts to bubble (this will take 30 seconds to 1 min.).
- Add strawberries and stir until strawberries are heated fully through
- Spread 1 Tbs. of mascarpone onto a slice of toast, top with warm berry mixture
As if this bruschetta wasn’t easy enough already, you can make the berry mixture ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 2 days!